Monday, October 28, 2013

Meh

So I did get the dress done, and... I'm not impressed with it. There were places where I made mistakes, such as not getting the sleeve cuffs lined up perfectly when I sewed the sleeves shut. But the biggest issue is the fact that the skirt is just too full. I was hoping that the extra weight of a full skirt with a double-folded piece of fabric for the hem, plus the rickrack trim, would weigh the skirt down, but it didn't. Unfortunately, I find too often when I use doll patterns that I have not created, that there is some sort of problem. In this case, I really see no reason why the skirt was made so extremely full.

In good news, the neckline looks a lot better than I thought it might. I used the thinnest white batiste fabric that I had to underline the top, but I was afraid that white was going to show too much around the neckline. Somehow when I got the top all assembled and the dress on the doll, it doesn't look so bad. On the other hand, I have an awful time getting the two collar pieces to meet up nicely in the middle. I try basting the collar pieces on before I sew the fabric and underlining, but they still end up to far apart, to my eyes. Oh well.

I will possibly post pictures of this dress tomorrow, when I've gotten over my disappointment, and the lighting is better. I'm also starting fresh with a new pattern for a different doll. I'm so over this pattern for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment